11.08.2012

Reminiscing

I was looking for a birthday card to get into the mail and instead I stumbled upon my Sweetheart card holder. Kara gave it to me...it is a cloth envelope for me to keep letters from my sweetheart. It has an American flag on the inside and this poem:
Sweetheart
I thought that you would like to know 
That someone's thoughts go where you go, 
That someone never can forget
The hours we spent since first we met.
That life is richer sweeter far
For such a sweetheart as you are,
And my now constant prayer will be 
That God may keep you safe for me. 


I have lots of letters. Letters from high school. Letters from college. Letters from Ranger School. Letters for our engagement. My Sweetheart has a way with words. He is so eloquent and can be so ridiculous. For example:

"I really have to sleep now (unintelligable letters/words) In fact, I just passed out writing this and someone had to wake me up..."

"I heard we don't get our packages on the bus this time, so not so much food, but definitely chips and cookies and candy."

He is so sweet to me. He always has been. Even though we were far apart. And I am so glad on days like this that I can sit back and read his words. How he can still make me smile- even though I know what the letter says and how he can still call me out for having the same "eye rolling" and "head shaking" reactions. 

Our love transcends any distance- it always has and always will. One day it won't have to. One day soon we will be back together. But for for now, the poem's words ring true- my constant prayer is that God may keep him safe for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment