5.17.2011

I Got Your Back.

Day One of being alone. James is in the field this week and the past 2 weeks he was in garrison- which meant he came home every night! Of course I scheduled a trip for my wedding weekend that week, and was not completely able to take advantage of his time at home. Lesson learned. But tonight is different. It is a little weird. I'm going to crawl into an empty bed and wake up alone. Luckily, I have amazing friends down here to help me fill up the time between. Meredith, Fawn and I had dinner tonight. The first night is always the hardest, and it is always nice having someone to eat dinner with. So we had dinner and a bottle or two of wine. Amidst all of our chatter of our weekends, Meredith brought up an "army saying". I'm not going to get this right, but I loved it- it goes something like this- If I watch your back, and you watch my back then we won't have to worry about our own backs. Genius! Right? We discussed about how this is actually a great way to live our life, especially our married life. If we take care of one another then we will be set!

But being alone usually makes me question...because it works great in a marriage when the husband comes home every night. He would be concerned if his wife was unexpectedly not there. Or if the husband always comes home at 6:00 and then one day he doesn't without any warning. Cause for slight concern right? But who would know if I was driving back from a friends house at 10:00pm and got into a car accident? Would someone actually know if I was in the hospital? Would the doctors and nurses know to call James? Or would they try to call him and not be able to get in touch with and not know who else to call? Would they know that they actually have to call his Company Commander or the 2-11 Staff Sargent? No they wouldn't. I would be alone. Again :) I contemplated this senario a LOT while I was driving so much last week. How do people know when you aren't where you are suppose to be?

In college, my friends and I would always text each other. And we actually still do when it involves seeing each other. Just a little heads up, I'm leaving for Charlotte or Atlanta or wherever we are heading out to that weekend. But it was nice. And it made me feel safer. I like knowing. I want to know where you are, when you will be somewhere, what time you left, or if you got stuck in traffic.

So tonight, Meredith and I watched Fawn lock up the house. We told Meredith to text us when she got home, and as I was walking home, Meredith drove up behind me and said, "I"m watching you walk into your house. I got your back."

No comments:

Post a Comment