6.14.2011

The Deep Fryer.

I got a deep fryer for Christmas from James' parents. I was so excited! But for some reason it has taken me until now to actually use it... I am a terrible daughter-in-law. I think I might have been a little scared to use it...probably a good thing, considering these things are dangerous. BUT my cool deep fryer has some built in safety features- a magnetic plug (so if someone/thing happened to trip over the plug the whole tub of boiling oil wouldn't come down), the basket can rest completely submerged in the oil- for the frying, or it can sit out of the oil- to let the oil drip off- but it is still underneath the top. Somehow, with all of these safety features, I still manged to burn myself- but only once, and it will probably never happen again. I was really excited to fry some chicken because the grocery store had drumsticks on sale so I picked up a huge pack! It was even better because we were going to a pool party- so why not have fried chicken?! So I coated the chicken in eggs:

And then flour.
Then made James run out to the store to buy more oil...didn't realize how much it needed. When he came back I heated the fryer up to as high as it would go and started to put the chicken in!
See the window...another added saftey feature, so that I can see if the food is cooked without taking the lid off...but unfortunately the window fogs up and you actually can't see it that well. But VOILA! The chicken was done...or so we thought.
James was dying of hunger, so I let him eat a drumstick early...good thing, because once he got down to the bone, the chicken didn't look completely done. Well, let me rephrase that- James and I didn't really know what done was suppose to look like, so decided to stick it in the microwave for a couple minutes just to make sure. Genius! Not so much.  After about a minute or so, I heard a loud pop, opened the microwave to find blood covering one of the drumsticks, sliding down the inside part of the door and on the ceiling- of the microwave. Sick. The blood stained chicken turned me off and we decided that we didn't want anyone to even try the chicken. So we left it sitting on the counter and went to the pool party empty handed. Fail. James decided that he was so hungry that he was going to eat me instead of the chicken:
Luckily, I tasted like sunscreen, so he decided to take a normal picture.

Lesson learned: Next time use smaller pieces of chicken. And yes, there will be a next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment