1.11.2012

The Bare Essentials


January 8th

You don’t need much to live.  We have learned this over the past 5 weeks. We brought a couple of changes of clothes, jackets, 2 pairs of shoes (although we should have chosen wiser ones), and some precious items. We do lots of laundry.
We just moved into our house. It is basically empty, except for the table, sofa, and 2 chairs that the army is letting us borrow for the next week. I bought 2 plates, a couple of sets of silverware, 2 bowls, a can opener, a wine opener, and a spatula. We borrowed a set of sheets and blankets from friends. It is all we have for now and honestly, we are going to be fine. We can feed ourselves, clothe ourselves, and keep warm. The funny thing is that when our stuff arrives I feel like I am going to be so overwhelmed with everything. Do we really need all of this stuff? I mean we even left a lot back in America…while sad that I don’t have my awesome kitchen appliances, I don’t need them to eat. It will be interesting to see what I cave in and get while over here…most likely the first purchase will be a crock pot.
Side note.
Best song ever just came on iTunes-seriously wanted it to my first dance with James…
Old time rock and roll.
Excuse me while I have my own little dance party.
Back to what I was actually talking about. The nice thing about living around American’s over here that come and go every 2-3 years is that people leave stuff!!! Woohoo!! There is no need for European appliances in America and vice versa, so I will be heading to the thrift store sometime this week to see if I can dig up an inexpensive crockpot. Already caving.
It is a really interesting to see how we as humans basically convince ourselves that the more stuff we have the better. I HAVE to have my waffle maker and espresso machine or I’m going to die. But these are all just things. They won’t follow us to heaven or create a stronger relationship with God. Don’t get me wrong, I am very much looking forward to our household good’s arrival, but in a weird way I am probably going to appreciate it a whole lot more- especially the pictures of family and home.
I’ll let you know when it all comes!

No comments:

Post a Comment