1.05.2012

The First Day.

Yesterday was the first day. Well, James' first day. But you get my drift. The first day with his platoon. The moment we have been waiting for. The moment that he stands behind his men in formation and looks out onto them, thinking and knowing that these are his guys and he will be there for them, help them, protect them, guide them. I am so proud of him and yet, honestly, some kind of jealousy sets in. These guys get him all day long and will have him 24/7 come June, which leads me to believe I could totally pull off a uniform. Yesterday was the first day since Ranger school that I didn't see him during daylight hours. Yesterday was the first day of working long hours...and they will only get longer. So in some sense it is the first day of the rest of our lives, or the next 6 years of our lives.

I heard this song on Pandora.
And then immediately bought it.

This is the first day of the rest of our lives.
Love will make us a shelter as we weather the next 6 years, but especially through this year.
I'll stand surrounded by family and friends, and I'll know that I'm not alone- we will be each others brother's keepers.

These next couple of weeks will bring a lot more "firsts" for the Simpsons- Welcome 2012.



No comments:

Post a Comment