8.23.2011

Baby Brother Moves to College

It has been 5 years since I moved into my freshman dorm room. And I would seriously never trade for that day again. I was so stressed and anxious about being in college, and I seriously thought that when I came home I would missing a sibling....fighting was one of their favorite things to do....But I loved all of the shopping! The new bed spread, sheets, pillows, laundry basket, towels, clothes, books, shoe hanger, closet organizers, shower caddy's etc etc. Luke on the other hand didn't care about any of it. Mom actually did all of his dorm shopping without him and in one day. ONE DAY. I vividly remember 2 trips to Bed, Bath and Beyond and 2 other ones to Target. What? Must be a boy thing. But oh did we have a blast organizing his room, which is TINY by the way. Seriously, I"m pretty sure my living room is bigger than his dorm.

I had the honor of driving 7 hours to Boone, NC. Have I mentioned how much I hate driving? I hate it. But Luke only moves into college for the first time once, and seriously, what else do I do with my time. So I took the trip. I even got to book end seeing Luke with spending the night with Jessica on the way up to Boone and then with Uncle David and Aunt Debbie on the way back down- so it definitely made the long drive bearable and worth it.

Being in Boone was wonderful. The weather was GORGEOUS. I got there around 11:00- just in time to miss all of the hauling up the stairs/elevator. Got lots of weird stares...I was wearing a Carolina t-shirt...whoops. Then, all the women started un-packing and the boys went to out to do something....basically got out of our way. We re-arranged the room twice and finally ended up liking the arrangement. And of course we organized his desk, closet, made his bed, and set up the TV area. Mary Kathryn and I worked on putting together their desk chairs. The boys brought their own, but they didn't fit underneath the desks (because they were so small and awkward) so we bought another chair and just assembled it without the arm chairs. Genius!




It took most of the day, but we finally got the room set up like this:




At this point everyone was standing around complimenting the room when his roommate Josh commented that the room would probably look better if there were less people in it. We took the hint and left.

Momma and Mary Kathryn and I headed back to the hotel, had Chick-fil-A for dinner and went to watch The Help at the tiny movie theater. (Movie was UNBELIEVABLE by the way). It was a very relaxing night.

The next morning we went to pick up the sweet boy for breakfast. When he walked up to the car he had his back pack on and informed up that we would also be going with him to get his school books and supplies. So precious. We all took turns offering up probably way too much advice about studying and how to organize his books and notes etc. But he listening patiently, so hopefully something sunk in. It was a bittersweet goodbye. He is all grown up now. An actual adult that has to make decisions for himself. When did that happen? And then of course, I was dreading the drive back home and upset that I was not once again starting classes for the fall.

He is going to so many great things at Appalachian. I can't wait to hear about the rest of his adventures.


No comments:

Post a Comment