7.19.2011

Just call me, Suzie!

This is what happens when you roll around in dirt, run in the woods, and play with guns. 



You get holes. James and I took the pants to the army alteration place to get the holes fixed and then "re-enforce" his other pants, so that other holes would not turn up in unfortunate places... Sadly, our brilliant idea to have someone else do the dirty work was shot down when the lady told us that they were all backed up and wouldn't have the pants until Friday...we need them by Wednesday. This would happen. Then the words flew out of my mouth... "I'll do it." Why would I do this? I don't sew. I have sewed on a machine once- and I barely remember it and every time Chandler and I would make pillows as a kid, I either got frustrated in the middle of the project and gave up or got the usual, "Chandler is just better at details than you." Luckily, my "don't tell me I can't do something" attitude kicked in.

The lady said that it wasn't hard and then gave me step by step instructions on how to complete the task at hand. Step one: Find a sewing machine. Thank goodness for my good friend Meredith! She actually sews. I got to help her go find fabric for her curtains one day- it was a blast! And she is really good at it- one of the best creative minds I've met! Her response was, "Wait, do you know how to sew?" She still let me borrow her sewing machine. Thankfully she pre-threaded it for me and off I went with my new project.


Next, I cut up the pieces of on old BDU.
Set up my sewing station:


And began to work on the biggest tear (shown in the very first picture):
Had a bit of a rough start...

But finally got the hang of it. Luckily James was there to tell me that I have to go at a consistent speed for the stitches to be even...

There was only one issue throughout the morning. The back stitch became REALLY loose.
Why does it look like that....I called Meredith. Thought I had fixed it with her on the phone. Wrong. Called Mom. No answer- VBS with 3 year olds, haha. And then called Amanda. Life-saver. She told me something was wrong with the tension and we spent the next 20 mins trying to figure out what was where on this sewing machine and watching youtube videos to fix it. And I did! Only had to re-thread it, but still, I was impressed.

After the minor bump in the road, everything went really smoothly! So now I am a seamstress.




No comments:

Post a Comment