3.13.2012

Italian Class

There is always something happening in this class. Yesterday was no exception. We had a sub. From the start she was clearly much more involved that our usual teacher. She asked us our names, walked around the room, and even helped everyone. Usually it is just me and the French boy that do most of the reading because she gets so frustrated with the other 2 students. But not the sub. It was seriously the first time I had heard one of the kids speak! Anyway, our classes struggle was pretty evident about 15 minutes in, so the teacher came up to me and started looking through my book. (We are about 75% through the book...) She flipped through, and I'm 95% sure, asked me if we had done all of this since the beginning. I responded, si. Then, only about 80% sure this time, she asked if when we started and I attempted to say, gennaio (January), and then corrected myself by saying that I had started in February. I said that whole sentence using 3 Italian words. Talent. Pretty sure she understood though. So she flipped to the first page and pointed a letter and said, "Legge (Read)". And I started reading, "Non, non, la lettera (No, No the letter)".

I don't know the Italian letters. I missed that part of the class, but honestly, probably wouldn't have learned them anyway.

So she pointing at all of the letters, and I have NO idea how to say them, so I revert to the only other language I know that sounds similar...French. I start reading the letters in French. That got a pretty quick reaction and she promptly started yelling, "Questo e italiano, italiano, non francese- non frances (This is Italian, Italian! Not French, not French!"  amongst other things, but that was the only phrase I could make out.

Whoops.

The next 20 minutes were spent learning the alphabet.

1 comment: